Butternut, Basil, Cream Cheese & Cashew Sushi
I LOVE SUSHI!!! There are so many combos and this one can easily set off a brainstorm of ideas. My thoughts for basic good sushi combos are:
- Something crunchy.
- Something soft.
- Something BOLD flavored. (but only use a tiny bit)
- Something subtle flavored. (you can use more)
- Something colorful.
From there you can add:
On this recipe I used:
Miso 1 Tbs.
Braggs Aminos 1 tsp.
Maple Syrup 1 tsp. (sub honey, agave or other)
Brown Rice 4 cups (cooked)
Rice Wine Vinegar 1-2 Tbs.
Nori Sheets. (a.k.a sushi roll sheets)
Water 2 cups in a small bowl
Butternut Squash 1-2 slices (peeled, sliced 1/2' thick, bake at 350 just until almost tender)
Orange 1-2 wedges
Cream Cheese 1//4 cup (vegan or milk based)
Cashews 1/4 cup (chopped. raw or roasted)
Basil 6-8 leaves (thinly chopped, chiffonade)
Toasted Sesame Oil 1 tsp (optional)
- Mix the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. This will be your sauce.
- In a medium bowl mix the cooked rice and vinegar.
- Lay one sheet on a cutting board. Moisten with water. Then press one small handful off rice on to the bottom half of the sheet.
- Cut your butternut into thin long strips and squeeze a little orange juice on them. Lay down one strip along the bottom of your rice. Use your knife to make lay a thin line of cream cheese down on top of the butternut. Then sprinkle a little bit of the next 3 ingredients.
- Roll it up then slice it*. Place on a plate and drizzle with your Miso sauce.
*TIP: When slicing your sushi start from the middle, then cut those 2 pieces in half, then cut each of those in half, you will end up with 8 even pieces. Also wipe your SHARP knife off often to keep your sushi clean looking.